Saturday, June 07, 2008

Carrot Cookies


I love the idea of eating veggies and fruit but don't always make wise choices. I'm all about sneaky them into anything I'm already eating, especially if it goes undetected by those consuming. So, when I saw this recipe in the JournalStar I thought I'd try it out.


Beta Carotene Cookies

½ cup currants

1½ cups all-purpose flour

¾ cup whole-wheat flour

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking soda

½ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon nutmeg

2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 cup light brown sugar

2 large eggs

1 tablespoon grated orange zest

2 cups grated carrot

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover currants with boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes. In a large bowl, sift together flours, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, beat together butter and brown sugar. Add eggs and orange zest; fold in carrot and drained currants. Add flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then scoop teaspoonfuls of dough onto nonstick baking sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.


They're not bad as long as you aren't thinking you're biting into the worlds best chocolate chip cookie. I sub'd raisins for the currants and would probably experiment with the recipe a bit next time...like scaling down the butter! Also, I thought it might make a good muffin or loaf. And what other veggies could you hide in there?!

No comments: